Friday, March 15, 2024

Discordant message

While I'm sometimes tempted to use ad blockers on sites like YouTube, I generally accept ads as the cost of doing business. So a lot of times I let them play through, hitting "skip" when they turn out to be long or really annoying.

There's a weird one I've seen lately. It's for Stop & Shop. A voice over says "Uh-oh (couple names I can't remember) are shopping hungry again!" And the man and woman go nuts throwing things into their cart.

The weird part is that it looks like they're supposed to be high with the munchies. Like, I'm pretty sure that's the intended effect. But it doesn't quite come off because they're so skinny and cadaverous that it genuinely looks like they haven't had solid food in weeks. The ad creators landed on something more disturbing. Maybe someone was feeling prankish.

2 comments:

susan said...

We have ad blocker on our main browser (Firefox) but not on Safari, which we only use when we really want to see an article that doesn't allow ad blocker. I get what you say about the cost of doing business but life is short and we aren't all that scrupulous.

After reading your description it's understandable why you found that particular commercial weirdly fascinating. It sounds bizarre enough I'd almost like to see it myself. Well, it so happens I did find it - I wasn't sure if they were proud or prankish as you suggested. I showed it to Jer who was reminded of bulimic David Thewliss in the 3rd season of Fargo.

Anyhow, speaking of Jer, he asked me to send you this twitter video of Joe Biden asking if he could answer a few questions and then his 'handlers' took over. We've heard them before but never saw them until this clip.

Ben said...

Oh yeah, definitely they can sometimes give you the impression--perhaps accurate--that your browsing experience has been hijacked. Of course as you point out, some articles don't allow you to use ad blockers, so what're you gonna do?

If I used blockers or were more consistent about skipping, that ad would have never penetrated my consciousness. As it is it had me questioning what was going on. The Fargo parallel is a good catch. Thewlis was a great villain in that. Some things like his character's bulimia helped the show become more than it otherwise might have been.

Yeah, I saw that clip and I think we talked about it before. It's very weird that he has these young interns seeming to pull his strings. It's an almost open admission he can't actually do the job.