Sunday, July 24, 2022

The Dean & I

I first discovered Edith Sitwell's poetry in an old book at my grandmother's house, years ago. I didn't know that she was a cousin of Tilda Swinton, or for that matter who Tilda Swinton was, although now that I've learned both, sure. What I could tell is that this was bold verse, making up its own standards as it went along. Like nothing else. 

What the Goose-Girl Said About the Dean

Turn again, turn again,

Goose Clothilda, Goosie Jane.


Bright wooden waves of people creak

From houses built with coloured straws

Of heat; Dean Pasppus’ long nose snores

Harsh as a hautbois, marshy-weak.


The wooden waves of people creak

Through the fields all water-sleek.


And in among the straws of light

Those bumpkin hautbois-sounds take flight.


Whence he lies snoring like the moon

Clownish-white all afternoon.


Beneath the trees’ arsenical

Sharp woodwind tunes; heretical—


Blown like the wind’s mane

(Creaking woodenly again).


His wandering thoughts escape like geese

Till he, their gooseherd, sets up chase,

And clouds of wool join the bright race

For scattered old simplicities.


Modernist poetry that was a little doubtful of modernity. May or may not mean something that this was published in 1919, just a little after a multi-year event that scattered quite a few old simplicities. 

2 comments:

susan said...

It's interesting to know you found Dame Edith's poems at your grandmother's house. I still remember reading 'Still Falls the Rain', her poem about the Blitz.

I've seen some of those photos previously, the resemblance between the two women is pretty remarkable, isn't it? Of course Tilda's strangeness is largely an affectation (she has her prosthetic teeth made by Fangoria) whereas Dame Edith could be said to have inherited her eccentricity and then built a very succesful literary career for herself.

I thought I'd sent you an article about her father some years ago but maybe not - Sir George Sitwell was a very bizarre man. It's no wonder his daughter despised him.

Ben said...

Dark as the world of man, black as our loss--
Blind as the nineteen hundred and forty nails
Upon the cross

Yes, that's strong stuff.

I'm pretty sure Nanna gave me the book and I still have it, but where I have it I'm not sure. Looked up more of Sitwell's stuff in the college library, though.

Oh, I'm sure there's some contrivance. Tilda Swinton is an actress, after all. Dame Edith was certainly a performer of a sort, but at the same time she couldn't help being as she was.

I do believe I've read some about Sir George Sitwell, and yeah, he was probably a poor fit for fatherhood. If there was any compensation it was the strong bond she had with her brothers, when they finally arrived.