Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Maybe you do need a weatherman

Yesterday while I was buying a bottle of wine it started raining. Pretty hard in fact. So when I got out of the store, it was just a curtain of water outside. Home was just a few blocks up the hill. I figured that since I didn't know how long it would be raining I might as well start walking and hope I didn't get too wet.

By the time I reached my apartment my shoes and all my clothes were soaked through so that I had to change everything. The kicker? While I was toweling off the rain stopped and the sun came back out.

Oh well. At least the heat/humidity is a little more reasonable now.

2 comments:

susan said...

Sometimes it's difficult to avoid walking in the rain, a heavy rain at that. A long time ago when I had a summer job in Toronto I'd walk to my mother's office to get a ride home with my dad. One afternoon a surprise rain shower turned into a downpour like the one you described with people huddling in doorways and running into buildings while I walked blithely on. Although my mother wasn't very pleased to see me wet, the worst thing was that the dye in my dress had run and turned my skin blue. I think I wore one of her raincoats home that day.

I'm glad to hear the heat lessened there.

Ben said...

Blue skin? Now there'd be an obvious Smurfette joke, but the Smurfs weren't known outside of Belgium at that time. I'm guessing it was a little before Yellow Submarine came out, too.

Walking blithely on is a good effect (or is that affect?) I can't help but look put out when it happens, in general. Yesterday I walked from work to the downtown bus stop in a downpour. Once again, it seems to have brought temperatures down a bit, and certainly did something about hte humidity.