Sunday, October 20, 2019

Knotty problem

I was having an issue. The laces on my sneakers were coming undone on a daily basis. Really multiple times per day, sometimes more than once on the same walk. Then I realized there were a couple more eyelets at the top of the shoes, not as wee marked as the others. Thread the laces all the way up to there and you'd get smaller bows, which almost always stay tied.

Anyway, I usually avoid the issue by getting shows you don't tie, but I couldn't swing that this time.

2 comments:

susan said...

I was having that same problem with my winter boots when we were in Halifax where having laces not only wet but frozen too made retying them more than usually unpleasant. Then we read that the reason laces stay tied when the shoe salesman (or a parent) ties them is because those of us who are right handed tie our shoelaces with the loop to the right and go from there whereas if someone faces you doing the same thing the first loop is to your left. It takes a little practice to tie one's shoelaces backward but for some unknown reason they tend to stay tied.

I tend to prefer slip-ons myself but sometimes laces can't be avoided. Not long ago when Jer got new sneakers he discovered the laces were noticeably shorter on one shoe than the other. It seems they have factories that make either left or right shoes - not surprising, I guess, but still weird to think about.

Ben said...

Interesting tip on the backwards tying thing. Sounds like there's a disgruntled small theater worker ready to spill some heavy truths.

When you think about it it makes sense that right and left shoes are made in separate locations. The creators are making sure crowd scenes during excam are middle school.*

*Might have been falling asleep when that last sentence was written.