Sunday, June 2, 2019

God never closes a door

I have new windows now. Well, I don't, my eyes are the same as they've always been. My apartment does. Assistant super put them in today. One nice thing is that it meant replacing the screen windows, so when it gets really warm I can keep windows open that I didn't before, without flying insects getting free reign of the joint.

Of course while we've already had some hot days this season, today wasn't among them and tonight certainly isn't. If I actually had all these windows open I'd be uncomfortably chilly. So far they seem quieter in the wind. Wonder how far that goes.

2 comments:

susan said...

Ah yes, there's a major difference between the windows of the soul and those that serve to keep the weather (and creatures) out where they belong.

It's good you have new ones of the latter variety and glad I am to hear it was done so easily. Our first summer at our last Halifax place was spent with the windows closed because the owners had all the brick mortar removed and replaced, then followed that lengthy procedure by removing our windows and the door to the balcony (including the frames) before putting in new ones. We had to move and cover all our furniture six feet away from the front while that was done. Then we had to clean everything. To say it was awful would be an understatement.

Of course our windows worked much better after that too but it seemed that process was what precipitated Jer's breathing problems. I'm glad for you that you'll be more comfortable there now and that you'll be able to have your windows open in summer without having to put up with unwelcome visitors. There's nothing nastier than trying to sleep while sharing space with a mosquito.

Ben said...

One notices that the windows to the soul get tired and bleary very much of the time. Ah well.

The way your windows in the last Halifax place were replaced sounds less than ideal, to say the least. Maybe there were preexisting issues with the building, I don't know. But having your respiratory issues exacerbated, as happened with Jerry, is a step too far. Not hard to see why you didn't hang around long after that.

Mosquitoes inside the house are disturbing, because they can feed on you when your asleep. Houseflies? One or two are okay, if they're just passing through. I've lived in an apartment that was overrun with them. While I managed to solve the problem, it was highly unpleasant.