Tuesday, April 30, 2024

They do not move

 

I've seen this film a couple of times now. It's a little under 20 minutes long. Called "Doctor Island", it's based on Gene Wolfe's short story "The Death of Doctor Island", which I've read. Both the story and the film are somewhat disturbing. 

Aside from that I know very little about it. For example, where was it filmed? It's a memorable location, especially shot in black and white. Probably an island in or off the US, I would guess. The actors haven't been seen much elsewhere (I checked on IMDb) but they're well-suited to these parts. 

Like I say, bad stuff happens in the film. At least the tide is comforting.

2 comments:

susan said...

Okay, I followed along until the girl showed up and by that time I have to admit to getting bored. If you'd been in it I would have continued watching, but since you weren't I didn't.

You did make me curious about who, what, and where (I left out the why) so I did a little investigating on my own and found a website called The Death of Doctor Island which appears to answer some of your questions - for instance, it was filmed in Costa Rica and Los Angeles.

Sometimes experimental movies lead to contracts - like Trung Phan, a 19 year old Harvard student who posted a 12 minute video to youtube He'd made during his senior year in high school.

Other times the filmmakers have the satisfaction of having made a movie that's so unique few will ever see it but for connoisseurs of strange.

Ben said...

Oh, if I'd been in it I would have let you know a long time before now, of at least I assume I would have. Sorry you didn't enjoy it as much. Least it wasn't that long.

That's a weird website you linked to. It was interesting to read about, but the film it describes is not the one that I saw. For one thing, the actors aren't the same. It's also in color, while the one I blogged about is black and white. The site left me wondering if there's an actual film or if it's just an elaborate tax dodge.

The Harvard kid does seem to be doing well for himself. One of his recent short films stars the kid who played Bruce Wayne on Gotham, and who I guess isn't a kid anymore. Wonder what the future has in store for him.

The small number of connoisseurs can be a satisfying audience. Then you have people talking about your work, which is a treat.