Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Hello, it's me

 I took a notion today to try blogging from work. Sh, don't tell anyone. Anyway, I forget what I wanted to talk about, because I couldn't log in. Like, I could, I remembered my Google password. But because it was an "unfamiliar device" I was supposed to give them an authorization code, which they'd send to my cell, which is dormant now. I got a code through email, but somehow they said they still couldn't verify it was me. 

So, I mean, I guess if anyone wants to take over this blog and somehow gets hold of my password, they're still out of luck.

2 comments:

susan said...

Remember when the powers that be began telling unemployed factory workers to train as coders? Now that identity fraud schemes have become a major moneymaking business it makes me wonder how many of those people took the training a bit further.

Of course under the circumstances it's easy to understand why corporations make it harder for a user to verify their identity but it would be preferable in general if they had a couple of questions only you could answer. I've never forgotten my mother's maiden name or that of my favorite pet.

Ben said...

If it was the case that laid-off laborers had taken their pretty much mandated code training in a sinister direction it would be hard to blame them. Of course by definition cybercrime is anonymous, so you don't know what kind of person it is.

Questions only you can answer are a good step. In my case I tried logging in with my password, which I of course got right. When it didn't work, I got a verification code through my email, which did nothing. Now whenever I open Chrome I get the same warning. This is idiotic, and the one thing that makes it better is that other people obviously notice.