Sunday, July 8, 2018

Oenology

I have a friend.

No, it's not one of those "see, I have this friend who has this problem" stories. Nor is it entirely a story.

This friend has a few hobbies. Among them is wine making. As far as I know it's just a hobby, in that he hasn't tried making a living at it. It's a competitive field, I'm sure, and you need resources to do it on a certain scale, resources I'd guess he doesn't have.

He's cooked up something that mixes peppercorns and cinnamon into the ferment. I got a taste of it tonight. Tastes a little like a wine that a few Valentine's cinnamon heart candies have been melted into. Not too sweet, though. A tasty versatile drink.

2 comments:

susan said...

I wonder if your friend is Italian? I ask because just about every hobbiest wine maker I ever met was Italian and most of them even had grape arbors in their yards. I mean you'd pretty much need that since I'm not at all sure the ones we can buy at the supermarket would be suitable for wine. The flavoring he's come up with certainly sounds unique. Hopefully it wasn't the kind of wine tasting where you swirl it around in your mouth and then spit it out - it sounded too good for that.

Ben said...

Mark is actually a mix of Polish and Portuguese. I guess you could say the wine making is more symbolic of his Portuguese side. They're known for their dessert wines, especially port. Although this wasn't as richly sweet as port, but you could call it a dessert-y number.

Nah, I've never actually experienced the "swish it around, spit it out" kind of wine tasting, although I did see Sideways. This was just us having a few nips in a cafe and trying to be subtle about it. Not because the owner is Muslim, although he is, but just because of the general outside food and drink ban.