Thursday, June 28, 2018

Bad moon rising

So I borrowed the latest season of Fargo from the library. It just aired last year, so the DVD has to be pretty new. Nonetheless, a couple of discs already seem to have sustained some damage. Noticeable chunks of the penultimate episode are gone. Since DVDs are software, once they sustain damage, it's basically impossible to fix. That's what you lose when you move away from analog technology: the chance to fiddle with something until it's right again.

Ah, but the series itself, leaving aside those parts I haven't been able to see, is excellent. I lean toward saying it outdoes the first two seasons. I saw Wonder Woman last year so I knew David Thewlis could play a good villain, but he's really, really threatening in this with only the leavening agent of being kind of funny. Carrie Coon is also excellent as she represents the forces of good. So, I'm glad not to have to be disappointed.

2 comments:

susan said...

It's very aggravating to find yourself trying to watch something interesting only to find the disc it's been recorded on has been damaged. Sometimes a good rub with a soft cloth will help but not always.

Anyhow, I'm sorry you couldn't see the entirety of the show as it was pretty good - not that we enjoyed it as much as the first two (being somewhat attached to the Gundersons and the cleverness of seeing small town police deal with urban criminals). All I really remember about the third season was that it seemed overly complicated in that there were more coincidences than seemed warranted. You're right that David Thewlis was an extraordinary villain, one with some really disgusting personal habits that alone would make me shy away from watching the program again.

Ben said...

Possible a wipe with a soft cloth (almost wrote "wife with a soft cloth" which would be a whole lot different) would have helped, but I think it was just one of those things. At least the damage didn't really extend beyond that.

Molly Solverson from the first season was one of my favorite characters ever, so it's a close race. The third season brings in a very contemporary kind of evil, albeit one that's show itself in history before. The necessity of fighting that evil and the story's acknowledgment that that battle isn't won kind of cements it for me. Also the police chief character in this one was someone I could feel for in a different way from Molly, someone who feels like she's being erased. Can sometimes relate.