Saturday, October 3, 2026

View from the eatery

 

When I first started seeing the name "George Segal" in art books, I thought, "Wow, the actor did this? Must be a pretty busy guy." Well, I'm sure he was, at times. But they're too different guys. 

This sculpture is called "The Restaurant Window II". Strictly speaking I guess it's a little more than a sculpture, because there's the background, incorporating incandescent lights. But the figure in the foreground is the key part. While the plaster she and her clothing are made of are uncolored, you can pick things up. Those are thick boots on her feet, so it's probably winter. And she looks to be waiting. For what or whom, we don't know. But it's starting to strain her patience.

1 comment:

susan said...

The Restaurant Window is indeed a potent image of how it feels to wait after those initial moments of pleased anticipation have passed. Is she wasting time there or has something happened to delay the meeting? Is that foot tapping to mark time until she leaves. It could very well be.

Having worked as an artist's model at one time I couldn't help but wonder at the endurance required to hold the poses Segal envisioned for the amount of time to let the plaster dry. How I wonder did he manage to get the clothing just right? I'd at least hope he sculpted the heads later.

***
On a completely different track I read the following on Compact this morning - the opening of an article called The Bleak Truth Behind France's Riots:

Hegel said that a tragic situation is one in which both sides are right. The violence that has recently broken out at French high schools comfortably fits this definition.