Thursday, November 8, 2018

Hours

Tomorrow I'll be otherwise occupied during the morning and early afternoon. After that, though, I have at least one thing to return to the library and a couple to pick up. This I have to do tomorrow because Monday is Veteran's Day (which I remember Howard Campbell, Jr. in Mother Night lamenting was no longer Armistice Day.) I usually pick things up on Saturday but with a lot of Monday holidays, this one included, they close Saturday to make it a three day weekend.

This is one of those things that used to confound me but now I just shrug off. As long as I can remind myself and not get caught up short, well, enjoy your day off.

2 comments:

susan said...

I still have a tendency to forget holiday closing time. It's remarkable enough we never went hungry on the major holidays but those 'will they/won't they' be closed ones still come as a surprise. In NS we had to remember Natal Day, Heritage Day, Victoria Day and Mona Louise Parsons Day (still don't know about that one). Now we're on the other coast we'll have to keep in mind other provincial holidays: BC Family Day, Good Friday, British Columbia Day, and (of course) Boxing Day. I'll have to check at the market to see if they will be closed on Monday for Remembrance Day. It's hard keeping them all in mind, especially since the stores often don't close at all.

Meanwhile, Canada Post has been having rolling strikes this past month and apparently mail is piling up here and there. I hope that will be settled before it's time to mail the Christmas cards.

Ben said...

Some businesses and public utilities post the days that they're closed on their website, which can be handy. Of course if you're there a few days ahead of time you can also ask someone who works there. Of course sometimes things can slip your mind. It's probably a good thing that not absolutely every place closes.

Mona Louise Parsons apparently was an actress who worked in the Netherlands resistance during World War II. Kind of exciting. She was from Nova Scotia, so that might have been more a provincial thing than a Canadian thing. As to Natal Day I don't know. Wikipedia just redirects me to "birthday". Ah, but whose?

Knock on wood the postal strike will be resolved soon. Canada seems to be a more labor-friendly country, more apt to settle through negotiation. Although that may be changing.