Friday, April 25, 2008

Heavy on the story songs: Friday Random Ten

Got an early start today. From my officemate's headphones I heard Laura Ingraham this morning, who always reminds me of Kathy Griffin doing a really long Ann Coulter skit. This effect can be amusing, but I wasn't in the mood, which motivated me to dig out my own headphones in the morning.

1. Neil Young and Crazy Horse*--Pocahontas
2. Lynn Anderson--Rocky Top (live)
3. The Fiery Furnaces--Teach Me Sweetheart
4. Sly & the Family Stone--Spaced Cowboy
5. Nat King Cole--Non Dementicar
6. Beck--Movie Theme
7. Puffy AmiYumi--Red Swing
8. Stone Temple Pilots--Pruno
9. Tori Amos--Jackie's Strength
10. Frank Sinatra--In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning

A few narrative songs here. Actually the Fiery Furnaces song (from their not entirely popular Bitter Tea) is one that I often think of when I'm writing fiction. The air of family tension and insistent animal imagery work well with the musical slow burn.
*This is the third cut I've included from Rust Never Sleeps, but I've neglected Crazy Horse before. Sorry, gentlemen.

No comments: